Raising a Reader!

Comic books are an excellent tool for instilling the love of reading.

I have been a comic book reader most of my life. I started as a kid reading the (mis)adventures of Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead. I loved going to the newsstand and lovingly pulling the newest issue off the rack. Comic books were my favourite Summer reading material.

As an adult, I have moved on to different themes and characters, but Wednesday is the day I look forward to every week because it is new comic book day!

I love to read and love teaching child to read and become better readers. I am beginning a new section in the classroom library in the next 2 weeks -- Comic Books!

The Comic Book Legal Defence Fund puts publishes a great brochure called Raising A Readers. It is available free on their web site and I have placed a direct link to the publication at the bottom of this post. (PLEASE NOTE: There are adult topics on the front page of the CBLDF site and it IS NOT for children.) 

I encourage you to read with your child every night, just like my parents did, to raise a better and more enthusiastic reader.

Click to download: Raising A Reader